Aug 9, 2013

Confessions of a Mad Tax Accountant #3: Dealing With The IRS

honesty
 
"Behind every successful man stands a woman and the IRS. One takes the credit, and the other takes the cash."
 
For the most part, I have no problems with the IRS. I have to protect my clients against the IRS so I consider the IRS my fierce rival. For me to say that I like the IRS would be similar to Tom Brady saying that he likes Peyton Manning during the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl. I respect the IRS but I come to win when I'm dealing with them. I don't hate the IRS but I hate some things about dealing with them. Here are some things that drive me crazy about dealing with the IRS:
  1. Not being able to communicate with the IRS via email is insane! Faxing, mailing and calling is so the 80s. The IRS has to find a way to act like it is the year 2013. A lot of time spent on my IRS cases could have been reduced in half, if I was able to email correspondences.
  2. Calling the IRS toll-free number is like being stuck in rush hour traffic in CHINA! There has been times that I waited over an hour to get an operator. Don't even try to call the IRS in March or April. One time, I called the IRS and went to lunch. I was still on hold when I came back from lunch.
  3. Waiting for tax-exemption status approval is longer than a full season of professional baseball. I have completed many tax-exemption applications (Form 1023). The average completion time is around six months. It only takes me about a week to complete the application. However, the IRS is so understaffed that it takes forever for them to review your application. During the waiting period, I have to calm my clients down at least four times.
  4. Dealing with a overworked IRS employee is like dealing with an ex-girlfriend who hates you for no reason. Some IRS agents are just plain old nasty. It is not my fault that Congress didn't approve the IRS budget so stop being mad at me for your workload!
Despite this list, I have learned that you should always treat the IRS with respect. Even if the IRS agent is Satan himself, you must treat them with respect. Don't get respect confused with fear. If you are "on-point" with your case, you have nothing to fear.
 
Next confession: Receiving CPE offer emails
 
Visit the new and improved The Tax Factor blog @ www.thetaxfactor.com
 
THE WORLD'S FIRST TAX ADVICE LOVE STORY TRILOGY IS COMING......
 
Part I book cover (jpeg)

No comments: