Dec 28, 2012

Tax Preparers' Hall of Shame: Taxes by Mr. Bill in Kissimmee prepared fraudulent tax returns



It been awhile but there are still preparers doing fraudalent work. The new inductee of the Tax Preparers' Hall of Shame comes from the great state of Florida.

Preparer William M. Gatlin has been sentenced in an Orlando court to 36 months in federal prison for aiding and abetting the false preparation of returns. According to court documents, Gatlin was president of Taxes By Mr. Bill Inc., in Orlando and Kissimmee, where he helped prepare phony returns for clients that inflated refunds for the tax years 2006, 2007 and 2008. Gatlin fraudulently claimed the First-Time Homebuyer Credit on returns and also deducted student tuition, fees and student loan interest on returns where individuals did not pay these costs. He also prepared returns fraudulently listing deductions for Schedule C business losses when he knew that his clients did not own a business or have such losses. (All of the deductions were done without his clients’ knowledge.) The court also ordered Gatlin to serve a one-year term of supervised release following his prison term. In September, he pleaded guilty to two counts of aiding and abetting the false preparation of returns.

We would like to welcome Mr. Gatlin to the infamous Tax Preparers' Hall of Shame.

We admire your creative tax deductions and plan on writing you regularly when you go to jail for them!

12 comments:

Susan P. Cooper said...

Seriously... WOW. I am so glad I do my due diligence when locating and contracting my current accountant for our taxes and other matters.

Jamaal Solomon, EA said...

Correct Susan, never sign anything that you don't fully understand. Don't let any preparer not explain your tax returns. Great job on doing your due diligence.

I would love for you to write a guest post on how you located your accountant.

Unknown said...

I am a victim to this man. Then to add insult to injury, the IRS got my correct amounts from the companies I worked for and ADDED Mr. Bills lower amounts to the right ones. Put me in a whole new tax bracket. I feel like a criminal because I haven't been able nor wanted to pay the $7,000 the IRS says I owe them. This has been going on since he did my 2005 taxes knowing that I was moving away from Florida. I might have been his first victim.

The IRS doesn't see their mistake. The 2 cpa's here in Texas wound up useless and the one that has all my paperwork won't return my calls. I am stuck all because of Mr. William Gatlin.

Any suggestions? I am now trying to mail (one last time) a letter to the IRS with copies going to The President, Michelle Obama, The judge and the proceceutor and Oprah Winfrey.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

could someone please delete the 2 extra blogs.

Jamaal Solomon, EA said...

Hello Karen, I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. My recommendation is to go on www.naea.org and search for an Enrolled Agent in your area. I'm an Enrolled Agent and EAs can represent you in front of the IRS. Look for a couple of local EAs and pick one that you are comfortable with. I can almost guarantee that the EA can help you with your situation. If you want to discuss with me privately, email me at jamaal@thetaxfactor.com

Unknown said...

Thank you Jamaal. I will take your advise and perhaps will be emailing you. I notice you are in Brooklyn. Originally I am from NY - Long Island. I do not trust anyone anymore. I am ashamed that this is over my head. I have been depressed. I have credit issues due to this. I have trouble buying a car with a low interest rate. Can't buy a house. The list goes on and on. I can't even deposit a check into my bank account because the IRS will freeze my joint account. 3 years isn't good enough. He always bragged about his big bank accounts. Federal prison is too cushy for him.
Okay - I am tired and done venting for now. Everyone be aware. And, Jamaal, thank you again.

Unknown said...

I am now with an EA in my area. Thank you again Jamaal

Jamaal Solomon, EA said...

Karen, this is GREAT news! I'm sure you are in good hands. Let the EA know about where you learned about EAs.

Also, stay tuned because I'm in the process of creating a bigger and better blog page. Hopefully, my new blog will help out more individuals!

Anonymous said...

He died in Federal Prison this month

Anonymous said...

....did he really die