- An official looking email that appears to come from the IRS with the subject line: your federal tax bank transfer failed.
- The “From” line contains another email address.
- The link goes directly to a fake account number that urges you to click on a Word attachment with the details of the failed transfer.
- The Word attachment is really a virus.
- Some consumers reported receiving a follow up email with “SECOND NOTICE” Your IRS federal tax bank transfer is cancelled” in the subject line.
Here are tax help tips the Better Business Bureau recommends to prevent this tax scam from going anywhere but the trash bin:
- Don’t click any attachments or links. If you inadvertently click on the link and download the file, be sure to run a virus scan on your computer immediately
- If you receive the above message or any suspicious email posing as the IRS, forward the message to Report-Phishing at the irs.gov website.