May 22, 2012
The Believer: My Financial Beliefs
I believe in the light that shines and will never die
Oh I believe the fire burns, we stay alive
They will talk about us
Like they talked about the kings before us
They will talk about us
These are the words of a believer, achiever, leader of the globe
My financial beliefs are as follows:
1. I believe that financial literacy is important to teach the “have-nots” how to become “haves.” You can win the lottery but if you don’t know what to do with the money, you could lose it just as fast.
2. I believe that everyone must have a basic understanding of taxes regardless of their income level. Don’t ever just rely on the advice of a tax accountant. You never know if that accountant is giving bad or illegal advice.
3. I believe most people that get ahead financially are the people that are not scared of failures and sacrifice. Some wealthy people are born into money while others had to grind their way to wealth. Grinding means putting in the work that most people are too scared to do.
4. I believe that intelligence and natural talent are important but having a strong work ethnic is how believers become achievers. There are a lot of extremely smart people that are struggling financially. It takes more than just smarts to become wealthy.
5. I believe that running a business is like playing professional baseball. A professional baseball player that hits around 40% of the balls thrown at him is a considered legend. As an entrepreneur, everything will not go as planned. Always be prepared to take advantage of any opportunity. If one opportunity fails, get ready for the next one.
6. I believe that no matter how accomplished you become, never forget the people who were with you when opportunities were hard to get.
A good book to read is 5 Easy Steps to Financial Freedom: Do What You Love & Get Rich Doing It by Duane Harden. Duane Harden doesn't just teach you theory; you learn through his own hands-on life experiences. A strong life lesson he imparts is the story of how he built his own solid portfolio comprised of residential and commercial real estate and successful businesses including a restaurant and a music company. He began with no financial education, but he was determined and inspired. Today he leads a Cash Flow Club where he mentors entrepreneurs on how to start and grow their businesses so they, too, can become financially free.
“Beliefs have the power to create and the power to destroy. Human beings have the awesome ability to take any experience of their lives and create a meaning that disempowers them or one that can literally save their lives.” Tony Robbins